NFC:s main task is to conduct forensic investigations and analyzes on behalf of the judicial authorities.
The National Forensic Centre, NFC, is an independent expert organization within the Swedish Police Authority with an overall responsibility for forensics. Our main task is to conduct forensic investigations and analyzes on behalf of the judicial authorities. Our mission is to integrate, consolidate and streamline the national forensic services to meet society's need.
NFC comprises the national forensic laboratory in Linköping and three regional forenisc laboratories in Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmö. NFC is to:
- conduct forensic examinations,
- monitor and assess existing forensic methods
- undertake forensic trace evidence collection and analysis at events including chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear and explosive elements (CBRNE),
- coordinate requests filed by the National Board of Forensic Medicine,
- constitute the contact point for national authorities and international contacts within the forensic field,
- conduct research and development within the forensic field, in close cooperation with the National Operations Department and the police regions,
- be responsible for the processes of the forensic activities conducted outside the deparment. Process responsibility, meaning national responsibility for operational control, development and monitoring and for ensuring consistency